Thursday, September 11, 2014

An Inca Disaster

Now that we're back and settled in, I'm able to get back to my rightful blogger duties. The overall trip was outstanding and there's still so much left to say: I might as well pick up where I left off in Peru, the next stop on our journey was Machu Picchu.

Everyone's first thought when traveling to Peru is guaranteed to be "I have to visit Machu Picchu." However, do we all think about how we're going to get there? Do we understand the consequences of the method we choose? Is this archeological site being appreciated the same way if we decide to be tourists and take the bus up? Well, this is our Machu Picchu story; an adventure filled with blood, sweat, tears and anger, but in the end it's a story which allowed us to experience and appreciate Machu Picchu in a completely different way.


Conner and I decided that the best way to experience Machu Picchu would be to get a full feel of things and trek the Inca trail. This was our first mistake. Our second mistake was thinking that because we were young, we'd be able to  manage the trek without any problem. And our third mistake, well, was being completely unprepared. The Inca trail was gruelling, but I'd say we have no one to blame besides ourselves.

The night before our trek was to begin, we entered a briefing meant to mentally prepare us for the four day hike. Unlike most people, however, Conner and I already believed that we were more than set to conquer the path of the Incas. Our egos were only boosted when we realized we were the only people in our group under twenty-five years old. Both laughing on our way out, feeling completely confident of our physical abilities. Little did we know, we'd be hiking with marathon runners, triathlon competitors and regular sport-hikers. In one sentence, we were screwed. Conner had overpacked (carrying almost as much weight as the porters) and I had underestimated the effects of my asthma. All in all, our egos were not matched by our abilities and we rued the consequences. 

Day one, meant to be an easy day of hiking, mostly "Inca-flat" with a little uphill and an easy pace. Well when you're thousands of meters above sea-level, this is not as easy as it sounds. Basically, your lungs, mind and body need to be in tip-top shape. As hard as it was, we enjoyed a visit from a few furry creatures:




Day two, meant to be the hardest day of hiking, was a nightmare for me. However, it was also my biggest physical accomplishment. First, the half way destination is called "Dead Woman's Pass" - this should've been a clear indicator that the day was not going to be easy. Running on little sleep, Conner was a mess but trucked through it like a champ. I, on the other hand, have never used my inhaler so many times in such a short time period. I felt like my lungs were going to cave in. I mean, I collapsed and cried when I got to the top, nearly an hour after half of my group (including two people in their sixties). BUT, the joke was on them because the rest of the day was downhill and my joints could handle that. We spent night two under the stars with a terrific sunset and an even more beautiful sunrise.

Day three was a relaxing day (moderately) with only half a day of hiking in beautiful weather. It was also the day we got to shower (in freezing cold mountain water, but shower nonetheless). I can say that I've never been that greasy but we all know I'd be lying, it's safe to say I was pretty gross though.
Day four was the 4:00 am run to Machu Picchu, which in itself was worth it. I feel like Machu Picchu is a mystical place filled with wonder and awe. It's a shame that so many tourists have come and gone and the ruins are being worn down. I can honestly say that seeing Machu Picchu wouldn't have been the same without completing the Inca Trail. As hard as it was, it was a journey I couldn't trade for the world. It's a memory that I'll always hold dear to my heart and I would argue, time sparing, it's the only way to go to Machu Picchu. Just make sure you are in excellent shape ;).

4 days, 43 kilometers and 4200 meters of altitude - Just the average week in the life of the Incas,
Meeca
P.S.: Check out this sick picture:


No comments:

Post a Comment