Friday, May 31, 2013

Never 'Goodbye', Only 'See You Again'

Last Day in Cusco, Day 15 Traveling

Saying goodbye can be the hardest part about traveling. Often, when traveling, relationships and trust are built in a short period of time. We meet people who are like-minded, unique and inspiring. I, for one, probably cannot tell you the life story of most of my "best friends" at home. Yet, I could tell the life story of many who I meet on my travels. This level of closeness is hard to match. Now, I'm not saying that I do not appreciate the relationships that I share with my loved ones back home, I am just expressing that I appreciate them differently. In my experience, this is very common and I'm not some overly attached freak; friendships bloom abroad.

Conner and I have lived in this house for two weeks now. Rosío and Wilder opened their home to us and allowed us to live through an experience like no other. We were treated like adults, while still enjoying some comforts of home (home-cooked Peruvian and Spanish style meals, laundry, cleaning, and someone to take care of us). I cannot express how thankful I am to these two genuine people. They put up with a lot on a regular basis and sometimes their kindness is abused, but Conner and I wouldn't have wanted our home in Peru to be any different. 

Thank you, Rosío, for the medicine, the advice, the food and the fun.

Thank you, Wilder, for putting up with us while you attempt to study, for the games and for the experience.

Thank you, housemates, for showing us the ropes in Cusco, for being so kind an welcoming, for helping us out when needed and for being you. You are just as much a part of our Peruvian experience as anyone else in Peru. (But seriously, y'all rock).

The hardest goodbye (as it always is for me) was to my group of munchkins. Now, if you know me, you know I'm not the most emotional person ever and I don't get attached to people easily. Well, throw all of that aside when it comes to my volunteering abroad. I become so attached to the children, it might be unhealthy. In the Maximo Nivel office I read a sign that summed my feelings up perfectly, it said "We taught them English, they taught us about life." I could not say this better myself; these children show me what it actually means to be strong and determined and I cannot even begin to express my gratitude. 
I don't want to leave, but I have to. So, for now, I say farewell and I hope to be back before they forget. They have made my life better just by allowing me to be a part of theirs. 

Making me cry is like an accomplishment; it means that you have touched my heart and will hold a piece of it forever,
Meeca

1 comment: