Wednesday, May 22, 2013

This Little Piggy Went to the Market

Day 6 in Cusco, Day 7 Traveling

Hi friends!

I'm a little bit behind, so bear with me here; I'm doing my best, but the days are packed! Please enjoy this picture as a distraction:
Cusco!

On Sunday, as I said in my previous post we decided to visit Pisac (a quaint village in the Sacred Valley). We found that the best way to travel to and from Pisac is by bus because it's much cheaper than a taxi (only s./ 5 per person) and they travel to and from rather frequently. As far as I could tell, no one is ever waiting for a bus for long. The views during the bus ride are spectacular, so we advise a window seat (if possible) and staying awake. The mountains, small towns and valleys are not something anyone would want to miss.

When we got to Pisac, we were dropped off just over the bridge on the main road (pretty much the only road for traffic within the center of town), it was just a short walk uphill until our eyes were met with the beauties of the Plaza de Armas de Pisaq. In the center is a food market, where you can find hundreds of potatoes, beans and fruits and vegetables in large woven sacs lining the ground. Women (mostly) sit with their produce all day! (That's dedication!) We were lucky to have time on an official market day (Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday), so the selection was not lacking; however, there is a market daily. Just walking around, we really got a feel for the atmosphere. It's a beautiful town. Be sure to go beyond the market and check out some of the walking paths and views. It's incredible BUT it is all up hill! Wear good shoes, bring lots of water and push the limits; now's not the time to get lazy.
Conner's awesome panoramic shot from those ghastly stairs (when you go, you'll get it)

The market, as I said, is huge and the selection isn't lacking. So, we found it best to shop around before buying. In Pisac, they try to charge way more than anywhere else because they get so much tourist traffic. Don't be silly though, bargain! Never take the initial price, it's definitely too high, but don't be too stingy; these people need to make a living too. 
A lane in the Pisac Market Place
Photo credits: Conner

My favourite thing about Pisac, though, was all the adorable children running around while their parents bargained. I did the creepy thing and attempted to take pictures. I'm sorry, but they're just too cute!

Last, I have to mention all the goodies around! I had read about this place called Horno Típico de Santa Lucía, well, it turns out that these are two separate restaurants. We opted for Horno Típico because it had this charming clay oven lined with empanadas, and I simply could not resist! We ordered 1 jambón con queso (s./4), 1 pollo (s./3) and 1 queso (s./3) and they were all delicious. I suppose they resemble something close to pizza pockets, but they are definitely much better than that. We also ordered two mango juices, but it was more like mango yoghurt sipped through a straw. Just keep that in mind! Also, we didn't really know how to ask for a menu, so be sure to have a relatively good working knowledge of Spanish. The young boy tries his best, but there's only so much he can understand.

Not that it's common knowledge or anything, but I like food. I like food, a lot. So one and a half empanadas didn't quite do it for me, I was still hungry. For just s./3 we were able to buy myself some giant corn on the cob with a side of cheese (sounds weird, I know, but just try it!). The corn had a taste that was somewhat like creamed corn- but better. The kernels were huge. We had to pick them off with our fingers to eat. Also, for all you Quebecers who want a slice of home, the cheese they serve it with is like poutine cheese! It comes in a triangle, but it's salty, squeaky and yummy. Don't pass the opportunity up, the smell of corn throughout the market is tempting enough.

Panorama in front of the corn fields.
Photo credits: Conner

It didn't take us long to feel tired, so it was time to head home after three hours within the village. We seem to just be really tired often, so we were bound to take a nap. Don't worry though, we're not wasting valuable Peruvian time. Siestas are normal!

I have so much to say about the food, our teaching placement and Cusco in general, but it'll have to wait, as I have Spanish homework and teaching activities to plan!

This little piggy went wee wee wee, all the way home,
Meeca

PS: I got my luggage! Bring on the peanut butter, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment