Monday, May 20, 2013

Is it Possible that the Shower Electrocuted Me?

Day 3 in Cusco, Day 5 traveling.
                 Flying over Ecuador
Upon leaving Quito, my heart was heavy and I was purely filled with frustration and anger. I was arriving in Cusco luggageless and exhausted, it did not seem to be good news. Thankfully, TACA Airlines makes up for United being such shitty assholes, we got French toast AND Suits (Mmm Mike) in just a two hour ride. So thank you TACA, you made my traveling to Peru a little less terrible. I can't tell you much about the flight to Lima, because I was out cold. All around good time.

Arriving in Cusco is an experience like no other. The views out my plane window were all around spectacular; the surrounding mountains, the hilltop sanctuaries and the half-built houses. Each of these things made me realize that no matter what, Cusco was the right choice. Everywhere you look, no matter where you are in the city, the views are absolutely captivating. It's incomparable; it's a beauty of it's own. 
This picture is taken from Central Cusco.
(First successful iPhone panorama shot!)

Unfortunately, my luggage has yet to make it to Cusco. Thankfully, my mom has been hard at work hassling United Airlines and it's already in Lima. I just have to go to the airport to sign some papers and voila! customs with send it my way! THANKS MOMMY <3 I'll keep y'all updated!

Upon our arrival in Cusco we were met by some absolutely lovely representatives from Maximo Nivel. They gave us a quick run down of how to use taxis, showed us to the headquarters and finally, brought us to the our volunteer home stay. I have to say that I love this house! Rosío and Wilder are the best Peruvian padres I could've asked for. But that's not even the best part, there are 11 other volunteers here; all super cool, down to earth and friendly. We couldn't have asked for better people to show us the ropes! We love our placement! (Especially with hot water, good food and comfy beds).

Since we arrived on a Friday, we spent the majority of it sleeping, and by Saturday, everyone else was headed to Machu Picchu. So, we decided to explore the city ourselves! We made our way down to central Cusco in a taxi for only s./ 3. Then we stopped by for a quick tour of Maximo Nivel (they have awesome staff) and we were on our own to explore! Conner was beyond hungry, so the first thing on the list was to find food. We stumbled upon a cute little Peruvian restaurant near the Waterfall Monument. The restaurant was full of Peruvians eating pescado con arroz, so we knew it was a good choice! Unfortunately, neither of us were in an adventurous mood, so fish was not on our menu, but,  the food was delicious and we both practically chugged our limonada frossen. We'd recommend it if we ever knew the name. Just look for the hole in the wall behind the handicrafts market!

Next, we checked out the handicrafts market, here are some of our sweet purchases:
An Inca chess set, my alpaca sweater at s./ 30, alpaca socks at s./ 8 and Conner's sweater (purchased in Pisac) at s./ 50. Everything is super cheap and crazy nice! I will definitely be returning for more alpaca swag, particularly a blanket! Watch for news and pictures. :)

We also came across the convent and Iglesia Santo Domingo. With an ISIC card it's only a s./ 5 entry (as opposed to s./ 10), so if you're a student, get on that! This place was also spectacular! The history of the Inca empire was ever present, the artwork was beyond amazing and the views from the lookout were to die for. We'd love to share with you what we were lucky enough to see with our own eyes.
Iglesia Santo Domingo & the two sides      of the Waterfall Monument

We were then noticing that the altitude was starting to take its toll. We have been taking altitude sickness pills and had not really felt any effects (aside from some tingling in our fingertips and feet), but a full day of walking the streets exhausted us. We had some delicious local ice cream (try the lúcuma and maro flavours!) and headed back home to Majesteria. 

When we got home, it was time for a siesta followed by a delicious home cooked meal. Conner then received a chance to try the local alcohol, Pisco, and fully embraced it. One of the boys, Austin, made me some delicious Coca tea (yes, tea made from cocaine leaves) for my headache and we took the night pretty low-key.

The next day we headed out to Pisac and today we had our project orientation. Unfortunately, I'm exhausted from such a long day and have an early rise for a quick airport run. Keep checking, I won't fail to tell you every detail!

Yes, it was a minor electrification, just remember not to but your hands too close to the shower head,
Meeca 

PS: United owes me a 250$ clothing voucher. Right on!

2 comments:

  1. My sister got electrocuted in the shower in the Congo, she started wearing crocs/sandals after that... lol it will help just in case :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except it was the shower head :( if I put my hands too close it electrocutes me! It sucks to be Conner, because he's so tall haha

      Delete